PDF Security Settings: Restrict PDF access and use
PDF Security Settings & Document Restriction Options
The following PDF Security Settings are available in Safeguard PDF Security.
PDF security settings and restrictions such as preventing copy and paste, editing, saving in unprotected form, printing and screen grabbing are enabled by default.
|PDF Access Control – assign document access to all users, individual users, or users who subscribe to a specific publication|
|PDF Expiry – expire PDFs on a fixed date, after a number of days from first use, after a number of views, after a number of prints, or never|
|PDF Document Verification – verify document access every time they are opened (so they can be revoked if required), every n days, or never (offline use)|
|Screen grabber protection – allow or stop screen capture|
|Virtual environments – allow or disallow use in thin client/virtual environments|
|PDF Print Control – allow or stop printing. Control the number of prints, enforce colorless printing, revoke access automatically once print allowances are used|
|PDF Watermarks – apply dynamic watermarks (user name, company name, email address, date/time stamp) to documents when they are viewed / printed|
|PDF Revocation – revoke access to a PDF document or a user instantly|
|PDF Auditing – track and monitor PDF use – log document prints and views*|
|PDF Location Control – control the locations (i.e. office only) from where secure PDF documents can be viewed*|
* Enterprise PDF security settings only
Default PDF Security Settings
The following PDF security settings and restrictions are always enabled and cannot be changed.
- PDF documents are automatically locked to authorized user’s devices so if they are copied to another device they will not open.
- Save and Save As functionality is not available so users cannot save protected PDFs to unprotected formats.
- Protected PDF files cannot be edited and modified.
- If printing is allowed then printing to file drivers is automatically prevented to stop users printing to PDF and similar file formats.
Changing PDF Restrictions
Many Safeguard PDF Security settings and restrictions can be changed / edited dynamically from the Admin system after a document has been published. Such as:
- assigning and revoking access
- allocating extra document prints or views
- changing document expiry dates
- changing user access dates
- restricting or allowing use in specific locations
For a more detailed description of the PDF security settings and restriction options available in Safeguard PDF Security see Safeguard PDF Security settings.