PDF Security for Small Publishers – protecting ebooks, reports, training materials from IPR theft
PDF DRM document security to protect your revenue generating documents & ebooks
Safeguard PDF Security can provide many benefits to smaller publishers, including:
- Apply a simple but effective protection system that persistently protects your IPR and revenue streams
- Administer and enforce copyright controls that are tailored to the type of information you are selling
- Simple administration of customers and documents – no passwords to manage
- Integrate with your web site for selling using our ecommerce API for 24×7 license delivery
- Hosted systems so you can be up and running within 5 minutes
- A simple pricing model for an unlimited number of users and documents
A smaller publisher can be a book or magazine publisher, or they may be a training organization, or a financial services company publishing reports to their investors. Their customers may have individual documents or they may take subscriptions to particular services (a 1 year subscription to a particular magazine or to a series of financial reports, for instance).
A smaller publisher may have a large number of documents and/or a large number of customers, but tends to deal with customers on a one-by-one basis. If you regularly need to treat customers in groups rather than as individuals, and/or need to allocate selections of documents rather than one-offs, please refer to PDF Security for Large Publishers which may be more helpful.
Apply a simple but effective protection system
Safeguard ensures only customers who have paid for information can access it by locking documents to authorized devices. It automatically prevents screen grabbing and printing unless you specifically authorize this, and you can revoke access at any time (say in the event of a chargeback).
The Safeguard system provides you with a standard template for protecting documents, dividing controls up into: Customization, Document Access, Expiry and Validity, Environment Controls, Printing and Viewing, (View Watermarks, Print Watermarks), Display Settings. You can preset these so that you get a consistent result for your documents and tailor controls to the type of information you are selling.
Administer and enforce your copyright controls
Depending on the type of ‘work’ Copyright may exist for 50 up to 120 years after the death of the last author/contributor. Contrary to some beliefs, this does not mean that what you deliver has to be guaranteed to last that long. Baked clay tablets can last 2,000 years but they are not commonly used these days, and DVDs may last between 30 and 100 years (assuming that you can always find a machine to read them on).
But do think about what you are delivering/licensing. If it is a book, people expect to be able to read it both online and offline. On the other hand, some training courses are very valuable and you may not want to license them for perpetual use, but only for a week or a month.
You can use DRM controls such as expiry to allow potential customers to sample documents for a limited period of time before buying them, perhaps increasing market interest, and watermarks when documents are sent out for evaluation, protecting your own rights.
Integrate with your web site for selling
Smaller publishers do not always want close integration between their web site(s) and the licensing administration system. This can be because existing accounting systems for membership management (customer or client management) may be manual, so there is little efficiency gain. In the same way, training courses are not necessarily sold directly over the web because of the need to check capability or the availability of a minimum number or schedule a trainer.
However, where the publisher is selling directly over the web, an additional feature – eCommerce integration, can also be purchased to automate creation of customer accounts, license delivery and document access.
Be up and running quickly
The effectiveness of Safeguard PDF Security is reinforced by the simplicity of getting going.
Where Locklizard are providing the hosting you can plug straight into a pre-built environment, start protecting documents and adding customers straight away, and not have to worry about maintaining your own server. If you already have a csv format list of customers you can upload them and the system will automatically issue licenses.
Why Locklizard for Document Protection?
Protect revenue generating documents – training courses, ebooks, reports – stop theft of your IPR
Locklizard takes your document protection seriously. We provide total PDF security with US Gov strength AES encryption and public key technology to ensure your PDF files remain protected no matter where they reside.
- Our DRM PDF Security products enable you to sell documents securely without insecure passwords or plug-ins, and enforce access, location, expiry, and usage controls.
- Unlike Adobe Permissions which can be easily removed, our DRM controls persistently protect your PDF files and enable you to revoke PDFs at any time regardless of where they are.
- No keys are exposed to users or interfaces and documents are only ever decrypted in memory – see our DRM technology.
- Our easy to use adminsitration system provides simple user and document management and unlike passwords, keys are transparently and securely managed for you.