Safeguard PDF security protecting PDFs: create, open & print protectedpdf files without passwords
Print Protected PDF files
To print protected PDF files choose the Print option from the File menu or press the icon.
Printing protected PDF files may not be possible if the document was protected without printing enabled. If printing protectedpdf files has been denied then the Print option and the Print icon will be greyed-out.
If printing is allowed then the document may have unlimited or limited prints available depending on the settings used when the protectedpdf file was created.
The number of prints available can differ for each user for the same document as print allocations can be altered on the Safeguard Admin System after a PDF file has been protected.
Print requests can be logged so you can see who has printed a document, when this took place and from what location.
Why does Locklizard use it’s own viewer for opening protected PDF files?
We use our own secure PDF viewer so that we:
- don’t have to update our viewer every time Adobe does an update
- can prevent the use of plug-ins that could compromise the security of the system (plug-ins can be programmed for example to copy text or enable printing)
- can control the printing process and prevent print to file or print to PDF drivers from loading
- can control the use of third party screen grabbers
- are not exposed to PDF security weaknesses or poor implementations in the Adobe Acrobat application
Why does Locklizard not create password protected PDF files?
Locklizard uses public key technology as part of its DRM PDF protection technology. See our DRM technology.
We do not create password protectedpdf files because you can easily remove password protected PDF security using a PDF password recovery program and third party applications that don’t obey the ‘rules’. A password protectedpdf file secured with a user password (used to restrict access to certain functionality) can have restrictions (such as printing, copying, etc.) easily removed using a free password recovery program such as http://www.freemypdf.com/